Saturday, February 6, 2010

Near Disaster

This is the stump of the tree that broke this morning. We were awakened by a horrible noise. We couldn't understand what was happening. I looked out the window and saw the tree falling. It was only a few feet from the house. Had it fallen a few feet the other way it would have fallen on the house and us in our bed!

You can see how close this is to the house. Thank goodness it even missed the air conditioning unit. We spent the day with no power and cooked lunch on our stove that has gas logs. The power came on this afternoon.

I spent the day reading "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton and snuggling under the covers. Of course we fed the birds extra seeds. I took some photographs and did some shoveling. And the children called to see if we are okay. Tomorrow is to be 8 degrees and tomorrow night 7. More sleet and snow coming next week. No snow plows out today. We literally are snowed in!

7 comments:

Janet said...

Stay warm under your covers and enjoy the absolute stillness of a snowbound day.

Carol said...

We have a lot of snow here, too! Glad your power came back!

Unknown said...

I use to live in a home with lots of tall trees and I was always afraid one was going to fall on the house. I'm glad you are safe and your house is safe. Stay warm.

joanie said...

We're snowed in too but so far have not lost power. What a winter we've had. Glad your power is back. What a close call with that tree. So glad you and your house were spared.

Joanie

Alea Milham said...

I am glad that the tree did not hit your house! We always worried about the trees during heavy snows and hurricane season, when we lived in Virginia.

You are lucky to have a way to cook when you lose power. Stay warm and safe!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Wow .. that was close!! Was it the snow that brought it down? Amazing... I've never lived in snow.. only visited it.. so it's quite strange to hear about all the havoc it is causing...

PS Yes I think i my addiction now needs to be classified as collection!! haha... I should put up the rest of the non-silver one... Thanks for visiting me.. xx Julie

Betsy said...

That is something the way it fell just missing your home and unit. I am glad the larger trees have been taken away from our house, because I am hearing trees every now and then fall in the woods. Supposed to snow here again tomorrow and wednesday. Glad you didn't have to go without power for too long.
Stay warm,
Betsy