Monday, May 23, 2011

Working Indoors on a Rainy Day

Go to Little Red House and see the other photo collages on Mosaic Monday.

Yes, it's raining again. Raining buckets actually. But between the downpours I was able to garden two days. Enough to make me relish a few hours in my recliner with the heated pad for my aching back. So today I can enjoy some Studio Time!

The Windham Regional Arts Council is having a members' show in June and the entry deadline is Saturday. Being a new member I didn't realize this was coming up until I received the notice a week ago. Can I have some good things ready in time? One moment I say "yes," next moment I say "no." I don't want to embarrass myself with my entries. What to do? This is not a jurried show but all members can exhibit. That means I have no check on my entries.

I have been working on my "Organic Crochet," for lack of a better description. In trying to finish old projects I found two of these balls and decided to enhance them and add a third. Looking at these now, I realize that creating these years ago started me on my crochet and fabric sculpture path. This led to other creations and my tiny fabric brooches.


The picture below is one of a set of three Organic Crochet Balls. You can see all three on the worktable above and close up on the top right in the collage.


Mr. B and I went with friends to the Chihuly Exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I was struck by how the shapes I am using on these Organic Crochets are similar to the shapes he uses in his glass sculptures. This photo taken from the internet of a different exhibit.


I'll take the week to get some photos ready for the show and decide about the crochet.

Devastating news today about the tornado in Joplin, Missouri. Those people didn't have a chance. It makes our many days of rain such a minor inconvenience by comparison.

9 comments:

Pondside said...

Those crochet balls make me smile!
The news from Joplin is so awful. It has been such a terrible spring for so many around the world.

Midwest to Midlands said...

I hadn't heard of the tornado in Joplin. How terrible. Growing up in Iowa tornados were always a worry and how sad the devastation. I just picked up crochet again last week and trying to remember what to do. Your sculptures are very interesting. PS I love interior design and love all the decor blogs.

Shirley said...

Just heard about the tornadoes on the news this morning. With all the technology, it's unfortunate a better warning system hasn't been devised yet. My heart and prayers go out to those in that area.

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for visiting! Yes, crowding does keep most of the weeds out.
I love the colors of your crochet balls! They really pop!
Barb

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Just lovely, I wish I knew how to crochet!

AnnA said...

Dear Nancy!
Colourful artwoks made by You!
It's raining here in Sweden today, but nothing compaired with a tornado and a smoking volcano...
Best wishes,
AnnA

Miss Char said...

Love love your color choices Nancy. I see the reflection you culled from the Chihuly exhibit. His work is remarkable. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your exhibit.

diane b said...

You are so clever and artistic. I love your selection of colours. Good luck in the expo. We were horrified to see the damage done by the tornados. Those poor people.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your crochet! I like to work on small projects when I'm here in NC! This may be what I would like to try! I think I will google some instructions! Of course...you are so creative, you probably did these without instructions! ♥