Friday, July 30, 2010

San Diego

During last summer's visit to San Diego we spent a couple of days in Balboa Park. This Proud Mama had to see her son who was appearing in several plays during the Shakespeare Festival in the Old Globe's outdoor theater. (He is there again this summer.) If you are looking for a destination, Balboa Park has gardens, the San Diego Zoo, The Old Globe Theater and a courtyard with studios where artists and crafts people sell their products.

There are twenty gardens which are free of charge, including a cactus garden, Japanese garden, butterfly garden and a rose garden. There is a fantastic Botanical Building - not a green house, because it is constructed of wood strips so it is open to the weather. It is full of ferns and other plants, some of them blooming.

This plant in the Botanical Building caught my eye because it seemed to be in the spotlight. Isn't it a luscious shade of green? You can see bromeliads in the background.




This is the Botanical Building where we picnicked on the lawn. There were several musicians performing in the open air which added to the atmosphere.


Join Claudia at Dipity Road for Finding Beauty Friday.

12 comments:

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

I too, Love that shade of green. I find different plants with that bright green and put them in the darker spots in the Garden.It is Amazing how it brightens those areas up!
Sounds like you had a Wonderful time:)
Enjoy your weekend ~

Callie Brady said...

I used to go to the gardens and the zoo in San Diego, but I missed the plays. Sounds wonderful. You must be very proud.

Pondside said...

I've heard so much about the beauty of San Diego - can't wait to visit. I think I'll wait until summer has gone and I'm once again craving some sunshine.

http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Morning, It sounds my type of place to visit, but a bit too far from home ;-)
We are having a holiday in September in Cornwall and are hoping to visit the lost Gardens of Heligan
http://www.heligan.com/ also the Minack theatre http://www.minack.com/ which is known as Cornwall's theatre under the stars!!

How wonderful to have a son who is an actor and by the photo on the side of your blog , very good looking!

Jackie in UK.

Sheila said...

We may go to San Diego to visit cousins sometime in the next year and I will remember Balboa Park. Are you going to enter their August PHOTO CONTEST?

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

Having trouble getting my photo to always show up in comments. I renamed it and reloaded it so I'll give it a try.

Unknown said...

We're headed to San Diego to visit our son in September, I'll be certain to visit Balboa Park - thank you for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

hello,
is my first time at visiting your blog and I really love it. I'll be back again to go through it. I do love sunflowers too!
http://teacher-and-friends.blogspot.com

Rettabug said...

This must have been a wonderful trip! I've never been to San Diego. :( I should have gone when my brother was a realtor there. Your photos are wonderful & enticing me to plan a trip soon.

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Good morning! You must be so proud of your son...that is wonderful. Love the botanical gardens. I hope to get to mine here before the summer slips between my fingers. What a lovely way to spend the day.

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a lovely day you must have had, visiting all the beautiful gardens and watching your son in a play! Sounds perfect!