Thursday, October 22, 2009

Daniel Rust House, B & B

If you like old houses and "housepeeping" as another blogger termed it, then what could be better than a stay at a very old house in Coventry, Connecticut in October!? Our daughter and son-in-law gave us a gift certificate last Christmas for two nights at the Daniel Rust House. They had stayed there and were sure that B and I would enjoy it as much as they did. They were right! It was wonderful! We used to live in New England and we really miss it in the fall.

Since it snowed the day after we left, (Oct. 14) it must have looked just like this! I borrowed this photo from the official web site.

Here is the hutch in the Tavern room where breakfast is served. It was a cozy room with a fireplace and small paned windows with some original glass. When you go, ask to see the initials scratched into a bedroom window!

Breakfast, prepared by our hostesses, Germaine and Cathy, was a delight! Here you see lemon poppy seed muffins. After breakfast, Germaine gave me a tour of the house, from the basement to the second floor. While I toured, B sat in the keeping room with Sea Biscuit and Silver, the cat.


Here I am talking with Sea Biscuit, a very gentle and friendly Great Dane.

The "Anna White Room" is on the second floor. It has a fireplace and a private bath with a huge jacuzzi tub. Two more bedrooms are on this floor, each with a private bath.

Walking into the kitchen full of good smells felt very welcoming!

B and I stayed here in the Maybelle Cottage. It even had a tiny kitchen and a fireplace. We went to sleep watching the flicker of flames.
This is the long driveway that leads to a quiet lane - a nice place to walk. I loved the stone walls and the big trees.
When you turn into the driveway, this beautiful old wagon is the first thing you see. Doesn't it look lovely full of mums and pumpkins? It was pretty chilly the morning I made this picture but I knew that Germaine and Cathy would be waiting with a cup of strong coffee and a big breakfast!
Heaven! We had a wonderful trip.

I'm joining the Hooked on Houses Fall House Tour.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love old wagons filled with fall! Thank you for sharing today!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you loved staying at this wonderful place! I'm in love with that huge hutch filled with dishes and that pumpkin! The bedroom you've shown is also lovely! Now that kitchen with the red cabinets looks so homey. What nice kids you have to spoil you like this! Thanks for sharing.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Suzy said...

Loved the tour, Thanks for your visit to mine too! I love me some fall!

The House Creative said...

I love the old wagon, and that little cottage is darling. Thanks for sharing it!

beth said...

Oh, what a charming place. I love it! I would LOVE to go visit the east coast some day. Especially during the fall. It is so beautiful! Thanks for the tour! Happy fall! :)

Melissa said...

It seems like a lovely place to stay. Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing this darling place.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I haven't stayed in a B&B in years! It looks wonderful! I think it would be fun to run one...you know like the Newhart Show! :)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

How lovely! Love the flowers on the kitchen table, and the color of the kitchen cabinets. Thanks for joining the tour! :-)

Anonymous said...

Pretty place....perfect country touches!! Thanks for sharing the photos :-)

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! Although all that snow looked more like December than October. Crazy weather this year! That lane is just wonderful! Sometimes I goggle Vermont (or Mass. Connecticut, etc. Inns) and go "housepeeping" via the internet. The ultimate armchair traveling!

Jane

Amy said...

Ahhh! I love these piks! the first one especially!

Margie said...

What a wonderful gift! It looks like a very lovely B&B! Thank you for sharing your pics with us!

Have a lovely weekend!

Janet said...

That certainly looks like a lovely place; I can almost smell the muffins.

Rue said...

It really does sound like you went to Heaven instead of Connecticut! What a gorgeous place and so sweet of your daughter and her husband :)

rue

Sue said...

This looks like a charming and fun place to stay. I've always wanted to pay a visit to New England in the fall.
:-) Sue

Paula Grace Designs said...

I found you from Hooked on Houses! What a lovely B&B. I could use some relaxtion and looks like the perfect place. I grew up in upstate NY and miss the foliage too. I'm in Virginia now. The colors are nice just not as vibrant. This is right in line with my design giveaway. All that’s needed is a picture of a Halloween or Fall vignette to enter and you Or one of your readers)may win a design for one room! Not just advice ~ a complete design. Check it out! This is the final weekend to enter ~ http://paulagracedesigns.blogspot.com/2009/10/final-entry-day-for-edesign-giveaway.html

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

What a wonderful place. I would love to stay there! Thanks for sharing.

Christi @ A Southern Life

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift to have been given. Everything was just so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.
Sandy

niartist said...

Oh what a beautiful tour! And Sea Biscuit definitely looks like the consumate host! :) Thank you for sharing this gorgeous bed and breakfast! It was a real treat! Hope you can stop by my blog soon!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

That is just what I think of when I think of a B&B. I want to start packing.

wvceli said...

OOO, you didn't tell me about Sea Biscuit and Silver! Not surprised B. and the cat made friends!

Sam said...

Ohhh this looks so welcoming and warm. Love it! Thanks for sharing. This was my first time to your blog.

Christine said...

The wagon did it for me! Lovely photos of fall!