Saturday, August 7, 2010

White Creepy Things

Yes, those little white fizzy things are still on the tree limb. After posting pictures of them a few days ago I had a response from Rebecca of In the Garden telling me they are Longtailed Mealy Bugs. I think she is right and what I am seeing is the nymphs. They have changed since I first saw them. They suck the juices from plants and are great pests in a greenhouse. Outdoors they mostly live on fruit trees.



Since I don't have a greenhouse or any fruit trees, I guess I will just leave them alone.

Rebecca, thanks for the answer. How did you know?

3 comments:

Pondside said...

Great photo with enormous 'ick' factor! Up close it looks like the tree limb is wearing a sweater.

Dar said...

I hate to tell you my friend, but these fuzzy lil fellas will destroy anything in it's path given enough time and chance. Beware!
BlessYourHeart

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Thanks for the linkback!! I'm just a google fiend and love a good mystery. :O)

I will still think of them as 'creepy white things'