Tuesday, March 2, 2010

House Love!

Here I am in Connecticut house hunting. This is a house I saw on my last trip and I have not been able to get it out of my mind. 8 East Street, Stafford Springs, CT. $329,900 with 6 bedrooms and 3 full baths, 5120 sq ft on a lot of 1.67 acres. ALL THAT LOVELY SPACE! It was love at first sight for me!

My daughter also loves this house. We keep trying to convince our mates that it doesn't really need so much work! But we all saw the movie, "The Money Pit" and our arguments are not going anywhere. But I love the space and the period details!

This the foyer looking into the living room and into the sunroom. The foyer is as large as a living room in most houses. Yes, it really is as large as it seems in the picture!

The dining room with that lovely built in is huge! I can picture my family here at Christmas. With the high ceilings we could have a big, tall tree. The third floor was the servants quarters and has a bedroom and bathroom.

The second floor landing is about 12 feet wide and five bedrooms open onto it. The phone system for talking to the servants is in place in the dining room, the entry and the 3rd floor. And in the middle of the dining room floor is the outlet for plugging in the buzzer to summon the servants! Cool! We could take turns being the servant each night.



I know I could make this house perfect but I'm not even guessing on what it would cost. It has some new windows and a good roof but needs a new kitchen. Probably needs new wiring and plumbing work. And how much insulation it has is a guess. Heating bills would be an issue as is the amount of taxes.

So finally, I have moved on. Am scheduled to view a ranch with a Frank Lloyd Wright influence this afternoon. It has a daylight basement which makes it more like a two story house. I've just come from the town office to check zoning for poultry and small livestock and we can have our animals. And the best part?
It has 4,200 sq ft! Surely there will be space for a craft room.

7 comments:

Kim said...

I wish you luck on moving on. I don't think I can. Notice I didn't say "could"! Ha!
Kim

Unknown said...

It looked hugh. I had a 1910 farm house and I was always worried about things like the furnace and water under the house. I have a new house now and even though I loved the feel of the older home I like the feeling that my new home shouldn't need anything major for some years. Linda

C. Stuart said...

Can't wait to see pictures of the next one!

Pat@BPM said...

I would not be able to get that house out of my mind either. It's beautiful.

Wishing you the best in your house hunting.

Alea Milham said...

I love all the possibilities when house hunting! Have fun searching for a new home.

Janet said...

I am envying you on your house hunt, although it is always more fun when you don't actually have to chose something, kind of like looking at wallpaper books ;)

Dar said...

I could only Dream of living in such an awesome space...the house is lovely. For me, this old farm house is going to see me to my end. Enjoy your journey as I will mine.
God Bless Your Hunt