Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stressful Days

It is hard to stay upbeat when one is living with uncertainty. We made the decision to leave Virginia and buy a house with our daughter and son-in-law. I posted about the purchase of the house in Connecticut in March. We are planning to have so much fun! Next thing to do was start moving and list our Virginia house with a realtor. On the first trip north with the UHaul Mr. B injured his leg on the truck step and required 35 stitches. After two months his leg has healed!

In the meantime we accepted an offer on our house. The would-be-buyers have been very demanding and keep threatening to back out every time they can. We have agreed to all their demands and now one more thing has come up. This is so very stressful. No plans can be made and we sit here awaiting developments. This is after already postponing our move for the two month healing time.

My craft room has been packed and moved. Half the kitchen is moved. We are having to eat our popcorn out of pots because the bowls are gone. I had to mix a cake by hand and bake it in a broiler pan because I moved all my equipment, never dreaming I would be here in VA so long.

I have nothing to do every day but lie in the hammock and read. That may sound good to you but after two months even that gets old! I'm reading a book and a half a day! The stories are starting to blend together. It is too hot to take more than short walks.

I'm eager to start decorating the house in Connecticut. All four children will be home for Christmas and I want it to be perfect. After this small Virginia cottage we will have all the space we need in the new 4200 sq ft house.

And all my surplus furniture (yes there is lots!) is in the garage in Connecticut. Some of the boxes in the garage have been packed since we left Cooperstown, NY fourteen years ago! Haven't had space for it all since then. Cooperstown was also a 4200 sq ft house. When we closed our two furniture stores there was furniture left over. And the ironic thing? The new house has lots of windows, walls of closets and very little wall space for furniture placement. I love furniture and now have room for very little of it. And I have to clear the garage for use before the snow falls!

Mr. B and I have tried to just enjoy this quiet time. But now my patience has run out.

This is a picture of Paws, one of our four cats. Added to all the other worries is that my daughter has seen a fox or coyote in the yard several times in the afternoon. I'm afraid to let the cats out in the yard when we move but they are used to being outside. What to do?
I'm wondering what kind of fence could keep cats in.



It seems like I'm just one big worry these days! Trying hard to keep my sense of humor but failing some days.

10 comments:

Pondside said...

What a stressful time for you. If I could, I'd send you a gift of peace of mind. As much as you know that everything will fall into place, it's hard not to fret.

eileeninmd said...

I am sorry you are so stressed. I hope everything gets worked out and you can complete your move. Just think how great it will be when you are in Connecticut.

FairfieldHouse said...

Keep your eye on the prize and do what you can with what you've got. Moving is stressful but it will soon be over and you'll be happy decorating your new home in CT. As far as the cats; my experience has proven that you cannot keep outdoor cats indoors. If they still have their claws (able to climb trees)and you are not on a busy road, I think they will be able to fend for themselves.

Your Friend,
Deborah

GardenOfDaisies said...

This is a very stressful time for you. Hang in there, it will all be better soon. I'm glad your husbands leg is healing well.
As far as the cats go, you will not want to let them outside right away at the new house. They need to adjust to the inside first and understand that this is the new place where YOU are and where their food is and that they belong here now. Moving to a new house is very stressful for them. Keep them inside for at least a week or maybe two, til they start to feel comfortable with the new indoor spaces. After a week or two, take them outside for short periods of time and introduce them to different parts of the yard. It will all be unfamiliar territory, and they will once again feel some stress. Stay with them outside with them for 15-20 minutes at a time and introduce the back yard, or the front yard... let them get familiar with the new smells and sounds of the neighborhood a little at a time. I would continue to go outside with them for at least two weeks.

Janet said...

So sorry for your travails, real estate woes are indeed awful. Today's demanding buyers are what caused me to go on sabbatical or semi-retirement from R.E., whatever a good euphemism is for staying at home reading blogs and cooking. Once you make the move I am sure you will be delighted and have so much to do and explore.

Alea Milham said...

We have coyotes in our area, they blatantly walk down the street! We let our cats out in the day, but make them stay in at night. We trained them to stay inside at night, by doing a little rough play in the late evening (after 8 pm) and then giving them their wet food for the day. After eating their wet food they sleep. Our system kind of mimics the hunt/eat/sleep pattern that many cats follow at night.

I don't want to add to the stress, but I thought I would let you know that when I leave your blog, it starts opening multiple copies of your blog on my computer. The only way I can get it to stop is to turn my computer off. Is there a chance you could have a virus?

C. Stuart said...

I hope everything works itself out soon.
Love the suggestion about keeping them in at night. A lot of things hunt at dusk so I'd make it early. Maybe a dog would help keep the coyote away.

joanie said...

Hi, Nancy. Sorry to hear of the stressful time you are having. Moving itself is one of life's stressful events, and you've had additional stressors piled on. Hope things pick up quickly and you're able to be settled and comfortable in the new house in time for the holidays with your family.

Joanie

Nancy said...

Alea, I have had a couple of people check out my blog and they haven't had the problem you speak of. I use a MacBook Pro and Apple computers don't usually get a virus. I hope the problem does not continue for you. Nancy

Anonymous said...

when we moved from the desert we use to just let
the cats out. Now we live in the city and built
a cat avery. It is a room enclosed with screen
and lath. The cats still think they are outside
but the coyotes can not get them. Just an idea
it worked for us.