Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sewing and Creating

I love to sew and don't even mind doing mending. Mostly I like to come up with ideas and create my own projects. Ideas can come from anywhere. The more I create, the more ideas I have! In fact, I have so many projects going they have spilled over from my craft room and are moving into the living room. My favorite chair is a rocking recliner - the perfect place to sit and sew. I can look out the large windows into the tree tops. All around my chairs are stacks of fabric and boxes filled with lace, beads, ribbons and netting. There is always a yellow cat at my feet and one on the top of the back of my chair where I can lean my head against him. Listening to that purr is very soothing!

My son and daughter-in-law came for a visit and brought me a magazine about jewelry making. Since I have been sewing brooches and making paper beads, that set me off on a whole line of ideas about making beads. I hope to experiment with polymer clay.

These are small gift bags. Perfect for presenting a piece of jewelry, money or a gift card. Each one is lined. This patchwork bag has a casing for a ribbon drawstring that is operated by a wooden bead. The stars are buttons. Size is 3 inches by 4.
Since I like to sew by hand, the patchwork is hand stitched and quilted. These are 3 x 3 inches.
These bags are made in one piece, turned and then half is tucked in to become the lining. A casing is sewn in the top. The leaves on the bag on the left are buttons. The gold leaves on the top of the bag on the right I purchased in the jewelry section at Michael's.

I'm Hooked on Sewing! Visit the Hooked on Houses Blog party to see what others are hooked on!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very envious of you. I can't sew. Although, I often tell myself I'm going to make time to learn.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

These are so neat! I really like how you incorporated the beads. Thanks for joining my party, Nancy! :-)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

So cute!!! Neat way to add beads as an embellishment. :) I am trying SO hard to learn and keep up with my sewing. Learning to do a simple bag is next on my list. :) Stopping by from Julia's party. :)

The Stylish House said...

What lovely bags and your handwork is perfect! Give your kitties a scratch behind the ears for me.
Cathy

Alea Milham said...

What delightful bags! I haven't sewn much since my last child was born and I miss it. I love hand work as well. I especially enjoy quilting and smocking.

Heartfire At Home said...

I'm envious too - I can't sew for nuts! I so admire people who can do work like that! Beautiful! Linda. x

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

I love the idea of a little patchwork gift bag!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I have to admit that I'm more hooked on having other people sew FOR me! :-) I'm slightly impatient with the sewing machine. I admire your skill and patience! Have a great weekend...

Terry said...

Thanks so much for visiting my place.

Susan @ Your home, only better. said...

Wow, you must be so patient! :)

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Wonderful! I am impressed. The only sewing I do is if it is a straight line (and hopefully it doesn't have to be to straight)!

Christi

blushing rose said...

Beautiful creations. Have a great weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Lotta Dahl said...

I love sewing too! I think it's all that keeps me sane when the Navy takes my husband for monhs at a time!

sue@solsticehome said...

Just lovely..my hands refuse to go where my head tells them too..so I'm always in awe of those that do :)

Brenda said...

Your blog is wonderful! So nice to meet you!
I would love to visit Virginia someday!