Monday, June 11, 2012

Overdoing in the Garden

Have you ever worked so many hours in the garden you can barely stand up the next day? It seems I never learn and I keep working as I think, "I'll quit when when I finish this, and this, and this." And then it is too late and I'm nearly crippled. At least I can still recover in a day. But I know it would be better to garden two hours at the time.

To make my Saturday gardening adventure even more severe, I had pulled weeds for two hours with other garden club members just the day before. Our Garden Club of Windham maintains many public spaces and the largest is the Garden on the Bridge where we were working. I truly believe in the mission of the club to beautify our area, so I help by weeding, trimming, planting and picking up lots of trash. Willimantic has so much going for it. Many new restaurants and other businesses have opened on Main Street in the past year. Making the area prettier and cleaner can help in this rebirth the town is experiencing.

This new work of mine is different for me in that it has a face in it. The lady in the hat was taken from a larger picture that has some of my ancestors in it. I think it was made around 1914 in Surrency, Georgia. The pansies are from my yard as are the astilbe you can see outlined in the background. 

Join other bloggers at The Little Red House for Mosaic Monday.

12 comments:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Nancy, that is absolutely beautiful! I certainly hope you will try to take it easy going forward!!!...your friend,:)JP

Carol at Serendipity said...

Nancy,

Your picture is lovely. I did the garden thing last week. I should really vacuum the cabin but I am still sore.

Carol

TexWisGirl said...

that's a neat collage!

see, that's why i don't garden! :)

Pondside said...

The collage is lovely - exquisite comes to mind, even if the word seems a bit extravagant.
I have weeded until my hands ache. The next morning is always hard until the finger joints warm up!

Lynn Wood said...

This is my first time to your blog and I am amazed by your mosaics! They are just striking. Maybe I don't get out enough but I've never seen anything quite like them. So glad to have found your blog!

My Little Home and Garden said...

Your collage is a work of art. By the way, it's nice of you to help out with your garden club.

diane b said...

I have done that in the garden but now that I have a prolapsed disc I know I have to stop after an hour. It is frustrating when there is so much to do.
Your mosaics are fabulous. I wonder what program you use.

Deanna said...

Your new work has some interesting qualities to it. I like it!

I need to get out there and work in my garden. You make me feel guilty! Hope you are taking time to recuperate today.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful collage!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Just beautiful Nancy!!! My youngest daughter also lives in LA. Hope your son is doing well~

Naturegirl said...

Nancy your artwork is gorgeous! Very creative!
I understand overdoing it in the garden!! I am always in pain after a day fussing which always begins with deadheading or watering and then I see this and that and then realize I've been at it for hours..I suppose labors of love..OUCH..but worth it! Have a beautiful week in your garden!

LindyLouMac said...

I have been having a catch up this morning and just had to leave a comment to say how much I have been enjoying your artistic montages. This one is a particular favourite.